Religious art at Trinity Religious arts lifts us out of our unimaginative ordinaries, our shoddiness and littleness. It makes a claim on us, probing, insisting that we remember who we are - created in God's image - intended to be little lower than the angels - destined to exalt God's name through out thoughts, our words, our lives. May you be confronted, comforted, challenged and confirmed by these silent sermons in glass and wood, metal and canvas that surround us here at Trinity Lutheran Church.
On April 14, 1981, a new cross was placed on Trinity's steeple. Made of steel and copper covered with gold leaf, it measures 16 by 22 feet and weights 1,000 pounds. Designed by Edward Sövik and crafted by St. Paul Sanctuary Co., the cross has rounded surfaced that reflect light in all directions twenty-four hours a day. (TOP)
The easily accessible communion rail is decorated with a series of wrought-iron symbols representing the 12 disciples - the original partakes of the Lord's Supper - and the wheat, grapes, loaves, cup, lamb and word of institution. The wrought-iron communion rail was designed by Sövik and fabricated by John Haider in 1952. (TOP)
This faceted-glass window, positioned above the front entrance welcomes, comforts and confronts people both inside and outside the church. Measuring 14 by 22 feet with 66 inch side sections, it was created by Hauser Stained Glass Studios in Winona, MN. (TOP)
Created by Seattle physician-sculptor Howard Dale in 1982, "The Burden," bronze, 35 1/2 inches, depicts Christ bearing a cross composed of all of history and humankind - rulers and oppressed, heroes and villains, youth and aged, famous and unknown. It intentionally interrupts traffic flow in the narthex. (TOP)
Metalwork on the sanctuary doors, also designed by Sövik and fabricated by Haider in 1952, symbolizes the four uses of that space - prayer (hourglass, seasons, ladder), thanksgiving (sacrificial fire, rainbow), praise (harp, organ, trumpet), and meditation (dove [Holy Spirit], book, fire, tree - Psalm 1). (TOP)
Of travertine marble with a bronze standard and wrought-iron stand, the baptismal font, 58 inches high, was designed by Sövik and constructed in 1952. (TOP)
The rerados, of laminated oak measuring 8 by 35 feet, was carved by Arnold Flaten in 1952. The pulpits, 58 by 75 inches, also of laminated oak, was designed by Dean Bowman and crafted by Willard Pierce in 1979. The 9-foot altar, designed by Edward Sövik and created in 1952, is of travertine marble. (TOP)
This 34-by-44-inch lectern of laminated oak was created by Dean Bowman and crafted by Willard Pierce in 1981. It bears the cross, the hammer beating swords into plowshares, the vine, the fruit and the pruning shears. (TOP)
The window in the overflow area facing the courtyard are of laminated glass, designed and crafted in 1957 by Peter Dohman, a German artist living in St. Paul. He was assisted by a craftsman from Europe. Each window interprets a phrase or phrases from the Lord's Prayer. (TOP)
In 1982, a stained-glass window commemorating Trinity's centennial was installed about the front stairway on the east side of the church. The hand, lamb and dove depict the Holy Trinity. In five sections, each 41 by 27 inches, the window was crafted by Hauser Stained Glass Studios in Winona, Minnesota. (TOP)
Located above the stairway leading to the Christian Life Center, this 4-by-10-foot mosaic repeats the theme of the altar carving and lists names given to Christ. (TOP)
This 18-by-36 mosaic wall panel in the narthex contains symbols of the Passion of Christ, the cross and the Greek letters signifying Christ is a victor. (TOP)
Positioned at the first landing leading upstairs from the narthex, "He Hath Done Wonders," 46 by 79 inches, combines the Madonna and Child with symbols of holy kingship and redemption. (TOP)
Dominating the east wall of the Centrum is a stained-glass window containing 5,500 pieces of leaded, colored and beveled glass and measuring 22 feet in height and 14 feet at its widest point. Known as the Trinity window, the three overlapping vertical circles represent God the Father/Creator, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. Looking down from the top circle are three overlapping profiles, another representation of the Trinity. The window was created by David Hetland. (TOP)
A companion window, the Homecoming, the size of the middle circle of the east window occupies the upper part of the west wall. While the Trinity window focuses on the gifts we have received freely and unmasked from God, the Homecoming window addresses our responses. This window was created by David Hetland. (TOP)
Designed by David Hetland and crafted by Nathan Dahl, Bruce Hoium and Steve Revland, the baptismal font altar and lectern for the Christian Life Center repeat the intertwined vertical circles of the Trinity. (TOP)
Among Trinity's many memorial gifts is this welcoming figure of Christ near the Eighth Street entrance of the CLC. (TOP)
Originally created as the cover of the 1987 Augsburg Publishing House edition of "Christmas," this mosaic, by David Hetland, is rife with Christmas and Christian symbolism. The Madonna and Child are multiracial, the scope of interplanetary. (TOP)
A series of six paintings occupy the wall just outside the meeting rooms of the Christian Life Center. Created by David Loren Christy in 1992, they present a contemporary interpretation of the Genesis Chapter 1 account of Creating, incorporating modern scientific images and the advent of Christ. Each painting is marked with the cross. (TOP)
This is just a preview of the many works of art at Trinity. We invite you to wander through the halls and rooms. It is easy to become so accustomed to treasures in our midst that we hardly notice them anymore. May this alert us anew to the beauty and profound messages of Trinity's art and, by extension, to that which is most important and of deepest value in our own lives.
See the "Art as Worship" guidebook for the many other artworks not listed on this page.
Text by Louise A. Nettleton.